Re:student led conferences

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 04:47:30 PDT

I have mixed feelings about student leds. The kids
typically have a fifteen minute time slot to go over
what's going on in all their classes and to show their
work (and it almost always takes 30 minutes to an
hour). The main objective is for the kids to share and
for the teacher to not get involved. Unfortunately,
some parents will insist upon talking to you about how
their kid is doing, grade wise etc., but the students
should be telling them that themselves. I have found
that when I participate (and I do have that option
this year), the parents will sometimes plop down in my
room and go over every subject and I have to listen to
the poor kids getting fussed at for making b's or
whatever! Unfortunately, they don't always come in to
talk about art or look at the work, they sometimes get
caught up in other subjects while they are in here, or
they just don't come in here at all. I would much
rather meet with a parent myself if there needs to be
some recognition or a conference-it is much more
straight forward. Many of the regular classroom
teachers here agree and have decided not to do student
leds this year. Hope this helps- on the other hand,
however, some teachers love it and it does give the
kids a chance to show off all of their art work at one
time, and if you stick around for it, it really can be
an ego boost if you have "art aware" parents! Sure
makes for a late night, though!

Jayna