Re: Why do we have to take art?

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 11:24:46 PDT

RE: Who designs all those CDs you buy? Who designs the
>clothes for J-Lo? Brittney? Usher? Who designs the sets for all the videos
on
>MTV or VH1? Who designs sports stadiums and uniforms? Who designed the car
>you want to buy? Who designed your house and everything in it?"
>Of course, the answer to those questions is an ARTIST.

Wizzle,
I was talking with my students a few years back about the "art out." As a
form of recognition for all the artists who died from AIDS, it was
suggested that we cover up all art work. I was telling this to the kids
saying we should hang black drapes over the art in the hallways.

One remarked, "I suppose we could not listen to music then, either."

Another said, thoughtfully. "When you stop to think about it, we'd have to
cover up everything, because somebody designed all of it...the desks, the
blackboards, the building..."

It was a great "aha!"

Christa

---