Re: watercolors

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 04:54:19 PDT

From: Sid Miller <sidmill@nsn.k12.nv.us>
> I ordered the Yarka dry set from Dick Blick and found them to be
> pretty good colors. This year I ordered a grumbacher 24 color set
> and I don't like it at all. I would be just as well off to water down
> tempera. Sid

I think budget wise, we are better off watering down tempera! Sid makes a
good point.

The ole cake system is nice...and I keep a few on hand to introduce
individuals in the high school that are top kids. However, if you use
freezer wrap paper...tear off a sheet and cut in half to give out to two
kids, tape it down on their desks shiny side up...you can premix water with
(Crayola for example) the powdered tempera in Rubbermaid plastic ketchup
bottles.

I don't premix the temperas with too much water but enough to have a thicker
yet fluid consistency. Fluid enough that chunks are gone and there is no
difficulty to flow. That way when about a nickel sized amount of color is
squirted out on the edges of the freezer wrap paper...the color is not
likely to run.

I then teach kids to take their watercolor brushes and just retrieve a bit
of color at the small puddle's edges. Add water and mix on the paper.

If I have two classes in a row coming in that are both doing watercolors,
you can even damp sponge the freezer wrap paper off and use it with the next
class for convenience.

The tempera's dilute well enough and strong enough in color that if I were
to show most the watercolor result, they would not be able to tell that
tempera was used instead of watercolors.

A pound of powdered tempera color goes a long way used this way versus
prodding out spent cake pans and the hassle of making sure the younger
students clean their watercolor pan sets right. Ever see a kid hold the
entire watercolor set under a faucet trying to clean it? hahahaha......good
grief!!!! 8^D

Larry S
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

---