Re: miserable

---------

From: Ann Carolan (acarolan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 18:22:50 PDT

Thanks so much I'm sitting here by myself after a perfectly awful day.
Fall has hit here with a vengeance and the kids are skittish at the least.
There work is wonderful; I've really pushed them to do their best and I
know in my heart that they are learning; it's just so hard to take ONLY
criticism from every one. Yesterday the High School Art teacher met with
me and other specials to discuss goals. She said my kids come to her not
knowing how to "color". I have to admit, she really teaches them "perfect"
color, while I'm busy teaching cultural and aesthetic appreciation,
principles of art, etc. in Middle School. Color is important but I don't
beat them up about it, wanting to be sensitive to their individual
development. Some like to be faint, some energetic and "scribbly", some
dark and powerful. It's ok with me and fun to watch them expressing all
that energy, even if they're loud noisy and messy; I know theyre enjoying
the freedom of expression. But no man or woman is an island onto
themselves and I don't know how long I can survive after 14 years on a
cart. They promised me a room when they hired me and when they built it
with the new elementary, they bumped me to the newly created middle school
and back to the cart. They gave that beautiful room to someone else.
C'est la vie. I'll probably be up half the night talking to my computer
and whoever else cares enough to listen at this hour. Thanks so much to
all of you for being my friend and confidantes. Love.
Ann Carolan
56 years old, 9 months; with a broken foot and broken heart.

acarolan@inland.k12.mi.us

---