Re: need photo equipment distributer - URGENT!

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 13:21:38 PDT

I have had a similar problem to yours Deb. My supplier in Philadelphia that
had the BEST prices and delivered to my door at no charge went out of
business last spring. I searched the whole summer for a supplier and I was
very concerned about delivery charges. I went with a big company in NJ and
I'm not too happy. Here I am in October with 80+ kids who have developed
film and I have no paper (on back order for over a month).

I'm going with FreeStyle. They are educator friendly and offer discounts
and their shipping charges max out at $34.99. The Arista products are made
by a premium manufacturer and repackaged by Freestyle as private label.
(e-mail me privately and I'll tell you the label) Last year, when my
supplier went out of business, I had an $800.00 enlarger on back order. I
quickly switched the P.O. to Freestyle and had my enlarger in a few days.

Porter's is good for the small stuff like trays and tongs and cheap
lighting, but the big equipment prices don't match.

This is what I've done: I called the companies and told them that I spend
between $8,000-10,000 a year on photo supplies. I tell them the prices I've
been paying and ask them to deal. You can deal.

Go to the Freestyle site and go to the educational sales consultants and
talk. If you are setting up something new they will give you good advice.

Good luck

Patty

> Deb,
> I use a few companies, some have better deals on different items.
>
> B&H Photo in NY 1-800-947-6628 www.bhphotovideo.com
> Porter's Photo in Iowa 1-800-553-2001 www.porters.com
> Free StyleCamera in LA 1-800-292-6137 www.freestylecamera.com
>
> Good luck with your new class. We only do darkroom/chemical photo
> right now and I'm going to be proposing a digital photography class this
> year.

---