Re: classroom funny

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 18:33:57 PDT

In a message dated 10/07/2002 8:09:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Nnaell@aol.com writes:

> I put a pumpkin on each table and told the students they could paint
> pumpkins if they wished...but they didn't have to. Well after the kids got
>
> started and I was walking around to check on everyone I saw one boy who was
>
> not painting. I walked up to him and asked him why he wasn't painting. He
>
> said he was waiting his turn.....I look over at the little girl next to him
>
> and I see her....PAINTING THE PUMPKIN. I said...uh..."jane" what are you
> doing? She said......"You said we could paint the pumpkins if we wanted
> to."
> Even better...that little boy was patiently waiting for his turn to paint
> the pumpkin!!!

Cute! Instead of washing off the pumpkin, I think I might have kept the
creativity of the painting on the pumpkin and then encouraged that
cooperative learning experience with the other tables and allowed everyone to
take a turn painting the pumpkins. That little boy had the right idea about
sharing and working with others- a good example for the others who might not
have waited their turn.. Maybe turning that adorable misunderstanding into a
"teaching-for -the moment" experience would have been fun! On the the other
hand, I understand that you needed them to see and relate to the color
orange, which is why you washed off the paint.

Reminds me of time when I turned around to find little Tommy, my first grader
whose hands were covered with green paint. "Tommy, why did you paint your
HANDS green?!?", I asked. (As if to say why did you paint your hands and not
your paper?) Tommy innocently and logically replied," 'Cause I like that
color."

Or, how about this... In my very first week of teaching I told my
kindergarteners we were going to paint a background and everyone turned their
papers over!
Makes teaching elementary school all worth it! Let's combine all the
classroom funnies and write a book...Ooops, better not talk to loudly, Mary
Ann could be listening. Are you there Mary Ann?...LOL....
Susan on Long Island

---