Re: Jewelry

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 05:28:46 PDT

Gabrielle,

We learn to saw by doing a pierced project using flat sheets of copper or
nickel silver to make a pin, pendant, key fob, or bracelet. The first saw
blade is free, the next 25 cents.

Then we do an etched project using masking tape as a resist.

Then we do a combined piece and learn how to "rivet." The best of these
works remind me of Thomas Mann's pieces.

Last, we cast a piece around a stone using pewter. These are made with
oil-based clay and cast in plaster. The pewter melts in a saucepan on a
hot plate.

I think it is a lot of jewelry experience without a torch and just some
simple equipment.

Christa

---