RE: contour line sketch book ideas

---------

From: Rebecca Stone-Danahy (RebeccaStoneDanahy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 04:49:33 PDT

Mike,
Try a contour line still life drawing. Emphasize composition and as the students work, also emphasize that their line weights vary to show dark and light areas. This will help to prep them for their future value studies.

After the drawing is complete, students can work back into the objects to further show the value in the still life with hatching and cross-hatching marks. Again, this will help them to see value. Emphasize that their lines be neat and organized or the value in their work will not be believable. I tell them that every line must represent something in contour and it also applies to the hatching/cross-hatching.

Afterwards, the students can go over all of their lines with a felt-tip pen. They must show various line weights from their contour drawings and may neatly go over their hatching/cross-hatching marks. This takes about 5 class periods.

Good luck,
Becky in NC