Re: artsednet digest: October 06, 2002

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 04:29:31 PDT

on 10/7/02 2:00 AM, ArtsEdNet Talk digest at artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu
wrote:

> Subject: contour line sketch book ideas
> From: Occasm@aol.com
> Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 21:18:06 EDT
>
> Hello,
> I'm really stuck for a good contour line sketchbook assignment. I've done
> the sneaker and I've done the tools (pliers, screwdriver, wrench, etc) What
> could I do next? These are 7th and 8th graders and my next project will be a
> still life drawing with values. I'm looking for the next step for these guys
> so they will be more prepared for the still life.
>
> mike sacco
> new to jr. high

I like (and my students eventually do as well), doing continuous contour
line drawings. I have them do one figurative one (full or partial -
typically starting with doing hand studies), one still-life and one
landscape. The challenge is in not picking up the pen (or pencil) and not
crossing any of the lines. As an option, they can use color pencil to
lightly accent areas in the composition that were delineated by the contour
line. I have them do their final drawings using blank felt tip pens.

Kevan

---