Re: Van Gogh and why make art?

---------

From: kavita ghai (kavitaghai2002_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 16:03:30 PDT

 hi,
i have seen some students finding art boring,but thats when they feel they are supposed to do the art work as a compulsion,and also they feel that they are making it for me ,i try t give them talks about the fact that this is fun time and that the work is entirely theirs ,sometimes i also say that they r the boss,i have seen this more in teenagers ,the growing adoloscents ,
these students want to run away from any kind of actuvity,but when they work with each other in a group ,this helps,
i also sometimes have different age groups working together,an when they act as group leader they seem to be more enthusiatic,thi age group show disinterest whne the work gets prolonged and they don't get fast results ,
peer pressure has loads of influence especially i am teaching in a residential school,if the friends praise it then they'll work harder otherwise the work is as boring as ever,
the best solutions for this that i found was to make them do quick work and not force them to develop their skill initially,the topics of art work have to be close to their interests ,this time in my annual show we had the boys make a sports room ,here certain things used were readymades also ,beacuase i did not want them to get dissapointed ,becuase if they r not able to make a perfect thing they feel discouraged,
i have tried hard to make them not get bored of their sculture class.and have been sucessful to a large extent.

  The Austin's <whest177@wheatstate.com> wrote: When I have been faced with this in the past I have compared it to the
student's own life. My boys tend to be hooked on paintball and discuss it,
look through catalogs, etc when not able to actually play. Similarly, I have
my football boys now who want to include their jersey number on everything,
discuss plays, games, etc. I ask them about their passion for their chosen
pasttime and tell students that artists feel that same drive, that same
yearning to create that they have.
~Michal

I appreciated this topic because several times when I've showed
artwork for
> the students to critique, there were students who said the artist must
have
> been bored. I assured them that artists are never bored - at least I
can't
> imagine it - but wanted to offer more about the "deep compelling need to
> create." I'm still thinking about why they think someone is bored and
> therefore makes art, or if they think that the art is boring. We'll be
> discussing this more in class during the next few weeks. I'm teaching Art
> in high school but had the same comments a few times at the middle school.
> Hmmm.?? Anyone else run into this? Genie Holt

---
hi,
 Yahoo! Properties Special  Buy, sell, rent...your flat, or even post an ad
---