Re: Van Gogh and why make art?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 11:07:45 PDT

When I have been faced with this in the past I have compared it to the
student's own life. My boys tend to be hooked on paintball and discuss it,
look through catalogs, etc when not able to actually play. Similarly, I have
my football boys now who want to include their jersey number on everything,
discuss plays, games, etc. I ask them about their passion for their chosen
pasttime and tell students that artists feel that same drive, that same
yearning to create that they have.
~Michal

> <PRE>I appreciated this topic because several times when I've showed
artwork for
> the students to critique, there were students who said the artist must
have
> been bored. I assured them that artists are never bored - at least I
can't
> imagine it - but wanted to offer more about the "deep compelling need to
> create." I'm still thinking about why they think someone is bored and
> therefore makes art, or if they think that the art is boring. We'll be
> discussing this more in class during the next few weeks. I'm teaching Art
> in high school but had the same comments a few times at the middle school.
> Hmmm.?? Anyone else run into this? Genie Holt

---