Re: Bridges

---------

From: Marcia Scurfield (mkscurfield_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 22:56:15 PDT

You ask, what is the best thing I get out of the Bridges conferences? I
guess it is intellectual stimulation and social interaction with an unique
and very generous group of people.

Last year was the third time I have gone. The first two years it was held
in Winfield, KS at Southwestern College. Then Reza Sarhengi, the director,
moved to Towson University,near Baltimore, so they decided to rotate the
venues.

The first year I was totally lost. The math was way over my head. But I
could understand the language of art, and loved the images, although I
didn't always understand how they were made .

It's just an amazing group--very international. They have such love for
their subject--math and art, music, science and that passion spills out into
their feelings for each other. They say they have to come to Bridges
because they find other people who speak their language. I just appreciate
that these extremely intelligent people allow me to hang out with them and
soak it all up. They are so kind--they don't make me feel like a math dummy
at all.

Towson University's Drama Dept. put on a presentaion of Steve Martin's
"Picasso and Einstein at the Lapin Agile". I don't think that's the correct
title, but it's close. We went on the Bridges After Conference Tour of
Baltimore and Washington, DC and went to the studio of Helmut Ferguson.

After Granada, Spain, Bridges is supposed to rotate back to its place of
origin--Southwestern College in Winfield, KS, 30 minutes from my house. I
don't know, I'm just hooked. It's kind of hard to explain. But somehow I
will find the funds to go to Spain next summer. My kids are in college and
graduate school and empty nest does have its advantages.

Sincerely,
Marcia, Derby, KS