Three more presentations added to the KAEA Fall conference

---------

From: Marcia Scurfield (mkscurfield_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 22:09:41 PDT

More good news from the 2002 Conference Site Committee:

Three presenters have been added since the pre-registration materials. Somehow we missed Cal Mahin's workshop proposal on Assemblage. Anybody who has ever taken one of Cal's workshops knows that you are in for a treat. He will be giving this hands-on workshop on Friday from 2:30-4:15 in McKnight Art Center, Room 107.

Just in the last week I have arranged for two women who are coming from Chicago to demonstrate Silver Art Clay--the clay that fires to pure silver. They are going to give two lecture demonstrations with a variety of images (powerpoint) of what can be created with the silver clay, plus make and fire a piece with a butane torch! They are also going to have a table in our commercial exhibits. Plus, they are donating a Starter kit worth $129 for the silent auction and the lucky bidder will be able to go right home and try this fascinating process. They are talking with the Wichita Center for the Arts about doing a weekend workshop in January or February. The two lecture demos are on Friday from 2:30-4:15 pm and Saturday from 8:30-10:15 in Room 210, McKnight.

Also, Paige Simpson is coming from the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC to present the "Art &" Learning Packet for Upper Elementary and Middle School. This packet with 20 11" X 14" prints and Curriculum Guide is available for a nine month renewable loan from the National Gallery of Art. Paige will be presenting at 10:30-11:15 in Room 210, Mc Knight Art Center

This has all come about from my 200+ emails that I sent out over the past month to museums and art supply companies. Michelle Ramirez did this last year and inspired me to do likewise. We have received a bunch of door prizes, auction items and goody bag stuffers. It's like Christmas every day when I come home from school and find packages on my porch.

Please help me spread the word about these three exceptional presenters, who did not make the pre-registration materials. If you are already signed up for a workshop and wish to switch, you will be able to trade tickets at the registration table.

The silent/live auction is shaping up to be a pretty exciting event. We even have a summer week (July?) in a condo in Avon, Colorado (timeshare!) so bring your checkbooks. (Site coordinators are allowed to bid aren't they? I'd better start eating beans and weenies right now.) David Hiltner, Dan Gegan and Chris Arnsdorf (professors and instructors from WSU and the Center for the Arts) are donating pieces of pottery. Don't forget to bring your live auction items (handcrafted art goes into the live category) and suitcase full of your handcrafted art. One idea that I know has worked on me in the past as a buyer is when someone donates one of their pieces to the live auction. I bid on it--don't get it--but then have the opportunity to buy something from them from their suitcase sale. We are expecting lots of buyers for your wares!

If you haven't registered yet, I believe pre-registration has been extended to October 10, with meals included.

Be seeing you all soon,
Marcia

---