Re: Summer (or other vacation-time) workshops?

---------

From: linda (lindwood_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 19:09:43 PDT

I know exactly what I would do...I would go to Haystack Mountain School of
Crafts on Deer Island, Maine. IT"S GORGEOUS and they bring in people from
all over the US to do 1 or 2 week classes all summer. Food is incredible.
 Request a catalogue. I've been to Arrowmont and Penland, and they were
both excellent. Arrowmont School of Crafts is the oldest crafts school in
the US,...but they teach Painting, drawing, clay, metals, blacksmithing,
quilting, textiles, and whatever else you can name, most likely. Penland
is a little more "earthy" than Arrowmont. Haystack is remote...in the
woods, on an ocean cliff. THe buildings are all rough cedar, long studios
with windows all across the front, stair stepped up the hillside so every
one has a view...and a very wide cedar staircase down the middle of the
buildings that people congregate on in open air to work on their artwork
throughout the day. I've seen it but not done it. Saw the menu and the
place they eat...looks great. Penland overlooks a big valley and is
wooded. It's north of Asheville. Arrowmont is in Gatlinburg, which is a
really bizarre town, but it is at the entrance to the Smokies and you can
hike and swim in rivers. Arrowmont is located up a long driveway, behind
a row of trees. Gatlinburg is right down the driveway, but when you are
on campus you would not ever know that you are sitting in the midst of
Elvis/teeshirtville/pancakehouserow/minigolfgalore/kitchandcrapshops.
You'd be coolest in Maine. I live in Texas, so that is appealing with a
capital A!

---