Re: Here's a lesson based on Ringgold/Chagall

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 14:39:28 PDT

Susan, do you have a picture of this to share? It sounds like a wonderful cross-curricular lesson!
~Michal
  Hi, everyone! Here's lessons you might want to use based on the above inquiry. It's not so earth shattering, but the kids are really enjoying it and have made many connections through it:

  My 3rd graders are currently doing a painting "paper quilt" based on Faith Ringgold's beautiful painting quilts. The librarian read them Tar Beach, her book about Ringgold's life and dreams as a little girl growing up. I asked the classroom teachers to facilitate the classes in a short writing sample that tells a story about their art. I showed them Ringgold's famous Tar Beach quilt as well as a few more visuals I have of her fabulous works and we discussed them. I also showed them Chagall's work and how he and Ringgold both use floating-dream-like figures. This is what the kids did next:

       1. On 12"x12" white drawing paper draw a representation of your life now or a memory you have. This can be a wish or a dream. Feel free to include yourself or anything in the picture in a dream-like way!
       2. Outline in black sharpie. Color small areas with oil pastels. Use watercolor on the large areas, etc.
       3. Glue down on 18"x18" tagboard.
       4. Cut 2"x2" squares from a large variety of squares of patterned paper (I used all those Roylco papers and wallpaper.) O.K., so now you want to know why I'm after school for all hours- you need many squares...LOL....
        5. Glue the patterns around the painting. Add the writing (story) about the painting all around the 1" border that is left.
        6. Display side by side in a quilt-like fashion.
  Susan on Long Island

---