Here's a lesson based on Ringgold/Chagall

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 05:38:02 PDT

In a message dated 10/02/2002 5:34:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jennarations@attbi.com writes:

> I am getting ready to present poster-sized of a group of artists who painted
> pictures using pattern and texture (Ringgold, Van Gogh, Matisse, Rivera,
> Escher, and others...). We'll be discussing how they used pattern and
> texture in the different pieces. Any ideas for a hands-on follow-up
> lesson? I'll be working with 4th graders...

Hi, everyone! Here's lessons you might want to use based on the above
inquiry. It's not so earth shattering, but the kids are really enjoying it
and have made many connections through it:

My 3rd graders are currently doing a painting "paper quilt" based on Faith
Ringgold's beautiful painting quilts. The librarian read them Tar Beach, her
book about Ringgold's life and dreams as a little girl growing up. I asked
the classroom teachers to facilitate the classes in a short writing sample
that tells a story about their art. I showed them Ringgold's famous Tar
Beach quilt as well as a few more visuals I have of her fabulous works and we
discussed them. I also showed them Chagall's work and how he and Ringgold
both use floating-dream-like figures. This is what the kids did next:

     1. On 12"x12" white drawing paper draw a representation of your life now
or a memory you have. This can be a wish or a dream. Feel free to include
yourself or anything in the picture in a dream-like way!
     2. Outline in black sharpie. Color small areas with oil pastels. Use
watercolor on the large areas, etc.
     3. Glue down on 18"x18" tagboard.
     4. Cut 2"x2" squares from a large variety of squares of patterned paper
(I used all those Roylco papers and wallpaper.) O.K., so now you want to
know why I'm after school for all hours- you need many squares...LOL....
      5. Glue the patterns around the painting. Add the writing (story) about
the painting all around the 1" border that is left.
      6. Display side by side in a quilt-like fashion.
Susan on Long Island

---