Re: Wetcanvas.com

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 04:59:47 PDT

>Larry, I remember (last spring???) you sharing the Wetcanvas link. <snip>
>So this method of having others outside the classroom offer comments
> on a student artwork can do nothing but benefit the kids. ~Michal

thanks Michal...yes, and in fact it proved to be so beneficial even to my
own art program at school that the superintendent noted comments in the
community. It was so positive from parents and others that he insisted I
submitted what it was I was doing to the state's Superintendents and School
Board convention. Last year, I was given a booth for that convention and
put up at the Hilton. I put together a power point presentation of the kids
working in the classroom, the Wetcanvas site as well as artist's comments.
The kids proudly holding their works with big grins.

Evidently, many superintendents and school board members saw the immediate
positive thing in this as well as it promoting the arts. I had a personal
visit from our state's superintendent Elizabeth Burmaster...(not at the
convention but way up here in the northwood's sticks!) and a letter from her
two weeks later in my personal file to boot to speak of my efforts. Not bad
considering I originally thought it no big deal, having had the habit as an
artist first to be a contributing editor for Wetcanvas.com anyway. It was
by my own superintendent's insistence only.

Some other positive things that have come out of my time on Wetcanvas has
been invitations to instruct workshops. I will be instructing a plein air
workshop in Glacier Falls National park, Montana possible next year or one
year thereafter, and this next spring I will have to take a couple personal
days off where courtesy the efforts of a number of artists on Wetcanvas...I
will fly down to South Carolina and instruct another plein air workshop.

I'm hoping that for the benefit of my students back home, to hook up an
online virtual line where they can follow along during a segment of an
outting. Its good for them to see that there are opportunities for artists.
It also adds to some better class room management because when they can
observe that other artists find value in their teacher to pay his flight
down and a handsome fee to boot....that he might have something worth their
time to pay attention to!

Do not neglect (speaking to everyone) checking out Joseph's site offered
either. I don't believe we should discount the potential value of this
technology and what it will mean for how art is influenced in the future.

Larry S.
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

---