Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 04:43:44 PDT

>Since you seem interested in the artist I suggest you read the 3-vol set of
>his letters to his brother Theo and others, containing quite a few of his
>sketches as well; as interesting, if not moreso than his writing, since
>possible to follow his artistic progress from godawful to grand.

and likewise, I suggest you read "At Eternity's Gate- The Spiritual Vision
of Vincent Van Gogh" by Kathleen Powers Erickson available at as
well as "Van Gogh and God- A Creative Spiritual Quest" by Cliff Edwards and
Henri J. Nouwen available at as well....

Two books many in the art world ought to read, for they often neglect the
"why" of an artist's life an artist is compelled to create. I have this
very strange suspicion Joseph, that you might not have heard nor read these,
but aside from your situation certainly many in speaking as authority could
not even pretend to understand the man without knowing this other deeper
more intimate side of him.

Course....there are many that having spent time on do know
about those two books I've mentioned. ;^)

Oh...and btw, for anyone else followign defending
is not simply a shameful plug designed to take away from this fine site for
educators....its an additional resource as any other shared here.
Larry S.