Re: Jewelry

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 19:50:31 PDT

Hi, I'm working on my first classes in jewelry. I did get a torch and
will be doing silversmithing next semester,(right now I'm having a problem
with the fire department about having propane and oxygen tanks in my
classroom) but we have made a repousse
sketchbook, did clay beads,(later to do hemp macrame when all are fired)
we have been having a ball with glass beadmaking. You can get a kit from
Dick Blick for $125 and then just buy a tank of mapp gas. So much fun. I
had the kids made a fibula from their handmade glass bead using copper
wire I bought by the pound from the dump. I will have them make beads
from pounded pennies and fimo. Not exactly sure what the project will be
for those. You can take apart computers and various electronics and make
jewelry from those. We also did friendly plastic pins which were a kick.
Many on the list have made shrinky dink plastic pieces (you can just use
the stiff clear plastic in cake boxes). I had kids last year take seed
beads and make designs on mat board covered with toilet wax a la Huichol
bead work. You can etch copper pins or bracelets with the etching
solution sold at Radio Shack. I would definitely go for it. I charged a
huge fee for me--$20 for a semester. We will do a little silver work, but
you could certainly fill your year with other things. Get a book on wire
working. How about pewter casting in plaster of paris or cuttlefish bone?
Sid
# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #