Successful sculpture lesson

---------

From: Cindi Hiers (suwanneecrew_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 17:55:38 PDT

I am doing a lesson with my Comp3D students and it is
a hit. I made it up. After the first few weeks of
"warm-up" type lessons I get into serious
instruction by contour drawing with both 2D and 3D
classes. I feel it is necessary all the way around,
even for my comp ll's and lll's. Then after contouring
hands, stills, and the model I go on in 2D with
gesture and this year got into gesture sculpture with
3D. I used Alberto Giacometti (yes, Surrealist that he
is) and his thin expressive sculptures as an example.
I had the students use their contour model drawings as
a starting point and with a very thin coated wire
(they could strip the coat to reveal copper)students
were to display interior energy. This interior energy
was captured in aluminum foil, then painted with white
latex paint. The students had to figure out how the
forms could balance standing, or they had to create a
form for them to rest, (chair for example--for one
pose the models sat on a chair). Once that was
established the students could paint it other colors,
add cloth, or leave it alone. I had some suggestions,
such as outside statues, hugging a tree, sitting on a
counter, and so on, but there ideas were so cool. One
student was a dancer and had hers in a dance pose
holding onto a dance bar, one was a weight lifter, our
quarterback had his tossing a football, it is so neat.
The comp ll's had to create a whole environment for
their sculpture. They are just as cool. One girl who
plays basketball has hers sitting on the bench,
created the court with the bleachers full of people
(pix from her games glued to the side walls) complete
with basketball hoop! One boy had his dude working on
a race car. Critiques are Monday and Tuesday. I can't
wait to display the gesture drawings 2D did with these
sculptures. I am so proud of the students (sometimes
interpreting my instruction can be the biggest
challenge!). Thought I'd share.
TGIF :)
Cindi