Re: Wetcanvas.com

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 05:26:25 PDT

>I looked at the wetcanvas site--the work put up there is quite a
> hodgepodge! Essentially what you have is a neighborhood
> exhibition where the only criterion for inclusion is that people
> show up with a piece of art and the ability to hang it up> themselves.

> I suppose if someone has the time and the inclination to wade
> through the material on the site there may be something of worth
> there--Joseph

well...that's me Joseph, "Mr Hodgepodge average how-the-heck did HE get
known!" variety talent type I suppose.

You miss the point of the site though if you were only looking for the
"best"...(however, I'd like you to bring that out in the debate forum there
and stick around long enough to try and respond. OH...and good luck!).
...and there are many fine professionals that are members. You miss the
point as well if you do not consider why those people are members.

Its a community.

Its important while we are teaching our kids not only to spend time pursuing
examples of these "best" you speak of...but recognizing our own kids are
starting out. Giving them courage, inspiration and showing that even adults
need such. Yes, there are many beginners and intermediates there. The
criteria is easy for others to join. Its a community.

I am a member of NAPPAP or "National Academy of Professional Plein Air
Painters" which on the other hand is not so easy to join, is a community in
some sense and has led to shows and exhibitions such as New York's National
Arts Building, etc; However, hobsnobbing among fine art's elite is not what
Wetcanvas is about. ITs where professionals meet younger artists, (and
there are a lot of younger ambitious artists there). Where techniques are
discussed. Where critiques are given and people learn social skills at the
same time. A safe place, and we know even our students will need such
places.

There are many who take time to digitally show each stage of their
processes, here is one sculptor doing a cowboy, showing the armature and
successive stages. Others follow along, ask questions (which could include
your student's btw) and the artist responds. Better than what you'd get
from looking at a book, eh? At any rate....I just grabbed a quick
example...but I'll admit there are better artists than this gentleman too.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=113eeb7d9d97dd12e4ac358b1a9
2d54e&threadid=52420&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Note- Make sure you include all the letters and digits that will not
highlight and be an active link in our small post window of ArtsEdNet here.
Highlight all that is missing in your url window when you click upon it,
copy...then paste at the end of what does show. Make sure there are no
spaces...and you should see it.

The thing is...the salons of their day were saying the same lacking of
professionalism and making sport of the amateurishness of the
Impressionists. I did refer to Van Gogh's "yellow house"....Van Gogh,
relatively speaking, would find the art world TODAY recognizing him a true
artist. Having sold only one piece in his day....Van Gogh himself
experienced no such recognition. People instead were told to check out
other more credible sources.

Again...check out my own demo's on my personal website, (which are
conveniently archived Wetcanvas articles) and since very few if any of the
Wetcanvas community members are members here at ArtsEdNet...and since I wear
brass underwear...you can have sport with me Joseph! I'm not showing at
Getty or universities either.

Larry S.
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

---