Giraffes Can't Dance kindergarten lesson

---------

From: Jeryl Hollingsworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 18:54:26 PDT

For the person who wanted to know how I adapted the lesson for
Kindergarten-sorry my computer is acting really strange and somehow your
message disappeared as I was replying so I will p ost to the list. I
read them the book (they are learning about the letter "g" this week.
They paid special attention to how the giraffe's skin looked. Then I did
a demo and made a big deal about the steps I want them to use with a
paint brush, water, putting their paper on the drying rack etc...I
really wanted this to be an easy painting lesson since it was their
first painting experience in my room. It was really more about
procedures. Anyway they painted the whole page yellow using tempera
cakes but on wet watercolor paper. I have a service learning student
from our high school so he went around to wet papers with a sponge. When
they paint the first time its better just to let them really paint
-they loved doing the whole page. Then they used orange to spot the
paper so it really looked like giraffe skin. The next day I flattened
them with a stack of books and sent them to their classrroom. I had
planned this with their teachers ahead of time to finish the project in
their classroom. I would have done this next part in my room but I only
see them once a week and next week I have a great lesson for "H". So
to finish, their classroom teachers showed them the book again and they
cut out shapes from their giraffe paper. Ovals(head and body)and
rectangles (legs ,neck) and a skinny triangle (tail) They glued them on
dark green paper and used a black marker to do hoofs and tail fur (what
do you call that stuff on the end of giraffe's tail?) Anyway one teacher
already hung theirs out in the hall today and they look great.
              Jeryl

---