Re: FW: Safety Question

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 18:50:36 PDT

Melissa- that sounds incredible! I'll be asking my principal about some ideas pretty soon thanks to you!
 Melissa wrote:Last 6 years I taught art at a Sixth grade center.(at the high school now) Anyway I painted my classroom one summer light blue. Then I used a sponge roller to roll navy over it. It looked like denim. Did this on all 4 walls except for one huge wall of white cork. Painted it cleaner white to keep the room looking large. The walls are cinder block like most schools have. 3/4 up the wall I painted one row of brick black. Like a border of wallpaper in solid black. Above that my classes sectioned off the walls into an art history time line. They painted about 4 feet by 5 feet sections of famous works on the walls. We projected them and outlined with sharpies. Different classes painted different sections of the walls. We lined the room with the tables and stood on them. It worked fine. I allowed only two kids on a table at once and we discussed balance. Who knows maybe it was stupid of me but I had no problems. It took about two months of kids work!
ing outside of class time. They loved it. Had, cave paintings, Mona, a Picasso, a VanGogh, a Monet, a Renoir, a Seurat, the Thinker,an Okeeffe', a Pollock... I think you get the idea. It ended up looking like a museum. Lots of attention from district office too. Made big points with principal and other. Use acrylics poured into jars as they worked they mixed and kept in the jars. Painted straight from the jars. Rolled sealer over it all. I LOVED that room. Then I moved. Icky dinky art room at the high school. You've motivated me to paint again with the kids.
Melissa Chaney
Ray-pec High School
Raymore Peculiar Schools, MO