Re: Keith Haring

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 18:43:14 PDT

Robert, I would be glad to respond to your posting, as I was the person that posted the hallway activity as a warm up activity to a more content laden project.
If the definition of graffiti and vandalism is addressed, as we do as a class, I feel students understand the "real deal". Keith Haring didn't spray paint the subway...he drew with chalk on some paper. It is also a great opportunity for students to talk about positive virtues........use it as an actual teaching experience based on character education. Invariably, students get the point and appreciate Haring's work for the wonderful spontaneous creativity that it is. We also refer to gesture drawings first and the value of timed drawings .................
As for what kind of message it is giving our kids ---Middle school students are smart enough to know they aren't ACTUALLY being told to go out and create graffiti. We need to give them more credit than that.
As for your reaction...........don't assume this wasn't a positive teaching experience before you respond in such a rude way.
JCossin