Re[2]: Picasso

---------

dmeadows_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 16:31:54 PDT

Salve,

I'm sure you've seen this one the net somewhere (which is where I
got it) but it's a variation on what Ken and Maggie have done.
Students pair off (if possible) and draw 3 quick sketches of a
friend, ideally head and shoulder. The sketches are on separate
sheets of paper, centred as well as possible, and each sketch has
to be from a different view (I usually specify front and side,
and then they can choose back or top). Once they are done,
students place all three on top of each other then cut them with
scissors -- they have to be careful doing this so the pieces
'stay together' on their desk. Once everything is cut up (I suggest cutting
them up into pieces about the size of their palm, various
shapes), they start picking up pieces and/or putting them back
until they get something that looks 'Picassoish'. Any broken
lines can be 'fixed' at this point as well. Since they
usually have extra eyes and or ears, I have them add one if they
like (they love doing that). When that's done, I have them tape all the
pieces together, then go over it with a dark marker or something.
They then trace that artwork onto a fresh (uncut) piece of paper
and paint accordingly.

I usually have them do this on 11x17 size paper and have them
make a 'frame' on a larger sheet (on which they mount the
painting and I laminate it). It uses a lot of paper, but they
invariably turn out *amazing*. I always do this in the weeks
leading up to open house so that they're on the walls when
parents visit. It's always fun to see
if they can identify a)their child's work (it's usually signed)
and b) the portrait of their child done by a friend.

dm
(who just remembered he could have mentioned his Warhol project
in regards to the computer thread ... if someone is interested in
that one, mention it onlist and I'll try to write a coherent
description).

On Wednesday, October 2, 2002, 7:31:15 PM, Maggie White scripsit:

> I used Ken's idea last year (based on a conversation we'd had before)
> and the results were great. Some of these self-portraits revealed a lot
> about the student's self, or sense of self. One even won a blue ribbon
> at a regional HS show.

> Ken, you've got to get your Web site up and running so everyone can see
> this stuff!

> Maggie

> Ken Schwab <Bicyclken@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> You can try this, Have them make outline sketches of the portraits you want to use. This can be a good way to show proportions
>> but even if they are crude so much the better. By using a pair of scissors cut them up in vertical and horizontal lines. Use a ruler to
>> keep the lines straight. Take the squares and reassemble them to make the face again. Slightly shift the pieces up and down to
>> distort the image and tape together with clear tape so that they are all one piece again. Graphite the back and transfer to paper and
>> make a continuation of the shapes and lines after it is assembled.

> ---

dm

David Meadows Libertas inaestimabilis res est.
mailto:dmeadows@idirect.com http://www.atrium-media.com