tooling foil for texture (repousse)

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 07:02:27 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

From: "artlady1" <artlady1@charter.net>
Would we be able to use tin foil in place of tooling foil?

Tin foil will not hold your texture lines like tooling foil will. We took a
long time discussing different kinds of texture involving both lines and
shapes. After they drew the lines on the foil we then took time to
embossing in some areas of the design. Embossing really makes the texture
pop, both to the touch and to the eye. I wouldn't recommend substituting
tin foil for the tooling foil. The tooling foil also gives you some options
with color...copper, silver and gold. It may even come in more colors but
those are the ones we've used over the years. Teresa

Repousse foil...which is what you probably want to try...is better used on
28 gauge foil. You can find "decorator foil" in either the NASCO or SAX
catalog at a fairly decent price. You're best bet would be to order in the
5-color pack for around $25 for a whole bunch.

If you're more serious about good foil, go with the 26 gauge. It's heavier,
keeps a better indention, and you can STILL cut it on a paper cutter. This
gauge size usually comes in silver, gold, or copper. You can check out our
foil masks on our site....Toodles...Bunki