RE: Math and art

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 06:32:55 PDT

Beth,

What about the guy that made the geometric models out of CDs and
toothbrushes that someone shared last year - help?

Platonic solids - proportional reasoning/perspective of the Renaissance
artists, anamorphic art, Chuck Close, fractals of Pollock, Bucky balls and
architecture, Mondrian's work as x and y axis -

Cezanne's work that reduced all natural forms to three basic shapes - the
cylinder, the sphere and the come (but no cube! - irony) - "geometry is
the basis of all form"

Dali and the inclusion of a 'hypercube' (a four-dimensional cube) in his
painting 'Crucifixion' -

Escher's 'Mobius' -

Frank Stella -

David Smith's Euclidean inspired sculptures (Cubi XVI) -

 Helaman Ferguson, who portrays the geometry of algorithms in stone
sculptures,
and Arlene Stamp, who constructs mosaics based on numbers such as pi.
 Tony Robbin represents sections of hypercubes by constructing welded steel
frames on painted canvas
panels. http://tonyrobbin.home.att.net/

Check out the book : Fragments of Infinity by Ivars Peterson

Ellen

> I am giving a workshop on integrating math esp. HS geometry into my
> drawing
> and painting classes. Anything come to mind particularly?
> Beth

---