Rewards (was " What about kids who whine? Suggestions?)

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 06:31:24 PDT

Judy Decker made "Mona Bucks" awhile back and I was lucky enough to be a
recipient. I printed them in color and laminated them and now give them out
as rewards. Sometimes I stick one in a sketchbook for an exceptionally well
done homework assignment, sometimes for a project that a student struggled
on but persevered, and sometimes just for cleaning the sink without being
asked. Always these are unexpected, and the student may turn them in for
extra credit, or instead of certain homework assignments. Because the
students know I don't give them out often and only when they impress me they
are thrilled when they receive them.
~Michal

> My rewards are not
> candy, trinkets and such. I will take a kid to the office or the room of
> a teacher they really like and brag on something they have done (good
> grades, hard work, or improved behavior). Sometimes I recognize efforts
> in class (unless they are the type of kids who will gang up on a high
> achiever). Kids who work hard, get early morning passes to my room. They
> can come help me in the mornings (except Thursday's after faculty
> meetings or vertical planning I tend to run late those mornings). Not
> having to go to the gym, and sit in silent lines reading is a big
> reward.

---