Re: list down...check out Wetcanvas.com

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 05:16:59 PDT

If you have not done so already, (and I agree Woody...clever guy you!),
check out the Wetcanvas.com site. An online arts community of 11,000
artists internationally.

As an artist/teacher in this day in age I nearly think it a mistake if we do
not recognize what is happening to art and the times we are living in.
History in the making.

A great opportunity for you as teachers to speak to your students about Van
Gogh's dream in his "yellow house" as a community for artists which never
materialized...for here we have it virtually. Artists meeting regularly
online, sharing their work (uploading images to be seen), asking for
critique. Experienced artists becoming social and feeling some sense of
obligation and good to help others.

Nearly every form of art exists there in the genre forum segment of the
"Message Forums" found under "Community"...how to articles and demos.
Opportunity's to question artists on methods, aesthetics and their
passionate pursuits. A section on operating the business and legal end of
art, and general "Cafe" for light hearted exchange. Then...a forum for the
not so light of heart, the "Debate" forum (which is one that I
moderate)...this one you'll want to not encourage kids to spend time on. You
know artists! However, here you see art directions, philosophies...etc.,
ranted about- endlessly if you like.

There is a new section on colors and values with exercises, and a section on
review of materials.

However, each year I upload images from the end of the painting quarter for
students to receive some critique. That they will hear from artists living
in Australia, New Zealand, the UK...etc., is...well, a real trip! They
can't wait to tell everyone.

The site is listed in the top five of all art sites online by Net Magazine,
and gets hit by about 500,000 users per month. With any small bit of logic,
one should be able to predict that this phenomena will be noted one day by
art historians as a turn in how artists work, communicate, socialize, and
grew.
http://www.wetcanvas.com

I have about a dozen how-to's myself on Wetcanvas which I have archived on
my personal website for convenience on my demo pages.

I'm not minimizing the value of this list which I have been on for a number
of years, for our specializing has a convenient place to come to for help
and encouragement as professional educators. As educators in art
though...you should be familiar with this offering and its implications
globally as concerns art.

Larry Seiler
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

---