RE: What about kids who whine? Suggestions?

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 03:47:05 PDT

I have this odd hearing condition - I can't hear in a specific range
oddly enough whining falls in that range 100% of the time.

I also have a problem with treats. They should be doing their work,
because that is what they are in school for to learn. My rewards are not
candy, trinkets and such. I will take a kid to the office or the room of
a teacher they really like and brag on something they have done (good
grades, hard work, or improved behavior). Sometimes I recognize efforts
in class (unless they are the type of kids who will gang up on a high
achiever). Kids who work hard, get early morning passes to my room. They
can come help me in the mornings (except Thursday's after faculty
meetings or vertical planning I tend to run late those mornings). Not
having to go to the gym, and sit in silent lines reading is a big
reward. About 1/3 of my kids live in the apartments on either side of
our school, sometimes I will walk a child home to brag on them to their
parents. For the other kids, I make phone calls in the evening.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert

---