FW: Safety Question

---------

From: Melissa (meemo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 21:10:14 PDT

Last 6 years I taught art at a Sixth grade center.(at the high school now)
Anyway I painted my classroom one summer light blue. Then I used a sponge
roller to roll navy over it. It looked like denim. Did this on all 4 walls
except for one huge wall of white cork. Painted it cleaner white to keep
the room looking large. The walls are cinder block like most schools have.
3/4 up the wall I painted one row of brick black. Like a border of
wallpaper in solid black. Above that my classes sectioned off the walls
into an art history time line. They painted about 4 feet by 5 feet sections
of famous works on the walls.

 We projected them and outlined with sharpies. Different classes painted
different sections of the walls. We lined the room with the tables and
stood on them. It worked fine. I allowed only two kids on a table at once
and we discussed balance. Who knows maybe it was stupid of me but I had no
problems. It took about two months of kids working outside of class time.
They loved it. Had, cave paintings, Mona, a Picasso, a VanGogh, a Monet, a
Renoir, a Seurat, the Thinker,an Okeeffe', a Pollock... I think you get the
idea. It ended up looking like a museum. Lots of attention from district
office too. Made big points with principal and other.

Use acrylics poured into jars as they worked they mixed and kept in the
jars. Painted straight from the jars. Rolled sealer over it all. I LOVED
that room.

Then I moved. Icky dinky art room at the high school. You've motivated me
to paint again with the kids.

Melissa Chaney
Ray-pec High School
Raymore Peculiar Schools, MO