dollar bill origami

---------

From: Jeryl Hollingsworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 18:48:29 PDT

     Every year my fourth graders are invited to our local bank to
decorate for Christmas. They decorate and trim a tree using some of
their own artwork and some things from other grade levels. This year
since our school theme is "Passports to Knowledge " and I am going to
Japan as a Fulbright scholar...I had this brilliant idea. Actually I was
in Books A Million looking for the book Giraffes Can't Dance (good
lesson idea with that book in Arts and Activities this month that I
adapted to use with my kindies this week for "g" week) and I happened by
a book on Money Origami. So my brainstorm was to have the 4th graders
bring a dollar bill and we would fold ornaments to hang on the treee and
then after Christmas the dollars would all go to a charity that they
chose. Dollars,,bank, origami --it all sounds so great except..I can't
fold a single one of those darn things!!! The directions are impossible
. There is about 25 steps for the supposedly "easiest" ones to do. I
finally managed to get a decent looking swan after crumbling enough
bills to do my grocery shopping. I looked on line and couldn't find any
that looked much easier. I did find a boot that I can almost do. There
was a star that I would love to have them do but no luck. I tried using
steps from another origami book that is for a rectangle of paper but it
won't work with dollars - they are too long. Anybody know of any sites?
Or have you had any luck with money origami?
    By the way I also found a great ABC book of Roy Lichtensein's art
work on the sale table for 4.97
          Any help would be appreciated!
                        Jeryl

---