Re: 3-D Clay Houses

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 13:54:05 PDT

dayna, i have my kids do "facades" because of logistics and storage
limitations. my kids meet once a week, 45 minutes and storage space is
limited. first they design and create a house front. lesson deals with
study of historic architecture (residential); clay techniques. design must
show textures created by adding and subtracting clay (bricks, shingles,
stone, etc.) , cut out areas such as windows (make sure not to cut out too
much or it will collapse when constructing), and an attached structure such
as porch, bay window, balcony, etc. they make their own paper patterns. the
facades are pretty detailed. they work on these for about 2-3 periods.

i use fiberglass cafeteria trays to store them - 1 tray per table so 4 have
to fit on the tray. i don't put cardboard patterns in because they absorb
too much moisture out of the clay between sessions.

when the facade is done, they roll out a slab for the base and another
rectangle for the sides. the base can exactly fit the house or be larger in
order to add a bit of "landscaping" around the house front. for the sides,
we cut the rectangle corner-to-corner to make 2 triangles. now the facade is
attached to the base with the 2 triangle sides attached by their right
angles. gee, i hope that makes sense. when it's all done they put a votive
candle on the inside and the light shines out the windows. PRETTY!

so...the facades are stored flat on the trays until they're finished. then
the kids have to do the 3-D part all in one period so we don't have to worry
about it drying out in between art periods. also i have tongue depressors
and extra clay to use for propping up the facades if they need it while the
clay dries.

if any of this needs clarification, please ask!

linda in michigan

---