RE: What about kids who whine? Suggestions?

---------

From: Alix E. Peshette (apeshet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 18:58:55 PDT

Hi,
I'v worked with 7th graders for over 13 years. Whining reaches a fine art
form with that age group. Some of my strategies are:

"It's not fair." Teacher response: "I did it because I love him/her best"
"Would you like some cheese with that whine?"
"You call that whining? The kids from (name the rival elementary school)
whine much better than that!"

"Come on, that whine needs more lower lip in it." "Can you make that lip
quiver at the same time?"

Obviously these retorts are all said with a great big smile!

Alix E. Peshette
Technology Coordinator
Emerson Junior High School
Davis, CA