Re: What about kids who whine? Suggestions?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 17:39:55 PDT

Irene, your co-worker is right! Also, whenever I hear "that's not fair", I
say "and your point is......". I recently attended a workshop where the
instructor compared teachers to doctors. With 3 volunteers she demonstrated
how "fair" is relative. The story went "one patient has a headache, one a
broken leg, and one has appendicitis. The doctor wants to be fair so he
gives all 3 an asprin. In real life this isn't fair. Each patient has unique
needs and the doctor needs to treat each one accordingly. Likewise, all of
my students have different needs and I need to treat each one to best
benefit their needs."

If it's only one or two students whining, just tell them you'll discuss it
when they can speak in a mature voice. Then do it!
Good luck!
~Michal

> A co-worker told me to stop wasting my money on things like stickers,
> birthday certificates, candy, little prizes--she said that will help stop
> some of the whining.
>
> Suggestions are welcome!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Irene