RE: What about kids who whine? Suggestions?

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 14:46:05 PDT

Irene,

When I was substitute teaching, I told kids that there were two things
that I did not do:

        1) I don't "bribe" kids with treats to do something that will
ultimately benefit only themselves (leaving aside larger social issues),
i.e. their school work, which includes participation in class; and

        2) I don't run "welfare" classes. I don't give grades, treats,
nada, unless the student earns it.

        I think a lot of teachers (and parents) have gone too far with
this "feel good" approach. People don't want kids to experience
failure, but if they don't, how are they going to appreciate their
successes? What's the point in accomplishing something if people who
didn't do the work get the same "reward"?

        I drew the line early and heard very little whining.

Lawrence A. Parker
Philosopher and Educational Consultant

---