Re: Keith Haring

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 09:40:51 PDT

We start off talking about symbols....what they are, where they see them, etc. while we view his work.We talk about simplified art. After delivering information on the artist, we go into the hallway and the kids line up in the middle. There is black paper up on both sides of the hall. I give each child a piece of white chalk and tell them " You are now on a subway........riding along ..........the doors will open and you will have 2 minutes to complete a drawing." Then after 2 minutes, I say "Doors are closing!!" We then move down the hall a little, having a few people in the front of the line go to the back. They then will add on to the artwork that is already there.
For the actual project, we did large scale cut outs of images inspired by Haring's work. These could then be put on display throughout the school.
Jancy in ohio
 Fran Legman wrote:I teach K-5 and would like to do a project on any of these grade levels on
Keith Haring. His child-like art looks like it would be very appealing to
study in elementary school. Has anyone done a project that they would like
to recommend? Thanks, Fran in Montclair, NJ