Re: Picasso

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 09:17:09 PDT

We do a portrait countour drawing of ourselves or someone else, on
tracing paper. Then we do it again once or twice from other views, also
on tracing paper. Then, after laying all 3 papers on top of each other,
flip them over one at a time onto our good paper and re-trace the lines
(which transfers the graphite to the good paper). (We don't necessarily
include all the original lines) and transfer all 2 or 3 drawings onto
the same paper, layering then up. Then we edit more of the lines, to
make a unified drawing. This reinforces the cubist idea of drawing an
object as though you are walking past it and seeing it from several
perspectives at once. It really helps cubist paintings make more sense.

"Lindemann, Sarah" wrote:

> Anyone have any great motivators / introductions to beginning a cubist
> portrait lesson for 7th grade?
>
> I usually begin the same old way, looking at Picasso’s reproductions
> and talking about his work, life etc.
>
> I just wanted something to really spice it up a bit.
>
> Sarah
>
> ---
> bbowen@cushingms.k12.ok.us
> leave-artsednet-7600Y@lists.getty.edu