Re: Draw A Man Test by Goodenough, 1926

---------

From: Marvin P Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 23:38:17 PST

The "Draw a Man Test" was developed by Florence Goodenough in 1926. It was
a nonverbal intelligence test.
This web site gives more information.
http://www.indiana.edu/~intell/goodenough.html

"Goodenough's most famous contribution was the invention of a test to
measure nonverbal IQ. Her very reliable and highly valid Draw-A-Man test
(also known as the Goodenough Scale) was a first to test non-verbal IQ in
preschool and older-children populations. These drawings ere looked at as a
window to see mental processes and organization playing off the concept
that children draw what they know–not what they see (Goodenough, 1975).
This accomplishment was established in her first book: Measurement of
Intelligence by Drawings. This test along with its revised 1940
Draw-A-Woman version was used well into the 1950's."
The above quote is taken from:
http://www.muskingum.edu/~psychology/psycweb/history/goodenough.htm

I have always suspected that drawing and intelligence (learning to think)
are probably connected in ways we do not understand. I believe we would
teach drawing and thinking (brain development) better if we understood this
connection better. Children who are inclined and encouraged to do lots of
self-initiated drawing will probably develop better thinking skills. When
they are drawing from memory, imagination, or from observation, they are
actively thinking. Asking lots of thoughtful questions that can be
answered by the drawings really increases the richness of their drawings
because it stimulates thinking. In my opinion, showing them how to draw
something shuts off thinking, ruins self-confidence, and stops the creative
process.
Marvin Bartel
*************
Marvin Bartel, Ed.D
Goshen College, Art Department
phone 219.533.0171 studio
1700 South Main, Goshen IN 46526
fax 219.535.7660
Teaching is Art.
In both art and in teaching, the goal is to get better by looking at what
happened today so that tomorrow we can repeat the successes and learn from
the mistakes.
As in art, this journey never ends. --mb

---