Re: flag design parameters???

---------

From: Heath & Michal Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 18:28:02 PST

I recently had my students redesign the American flag. I showed them
pictures of the history of our flag and we discussed how different it used
to look. They were surprised to learn that our current flag design isn't
that old (in flag years, not student years!). I asked them to think about
what would happen to our flag if Washington DC or Peurto Rico would become a
state. I had some wonderful results. They used colored paper for their
medium, and I had one student make red & white stripes with 1 large blue
star for "1 Nation". Very striking, very symbolic. My only requirements were
that it had to retain enough of our current flag to make someone think
"United States".
~Michal
whest177@wheatstate.com
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> anyone already have simple guidelines for designing a flag? Have to throw
something together to design a local competition at the elementary grade
school level. Must incorporate symbols of local history and some national.
A good design might actually be used to make a real flag. Thanks...

---