Re: scratchboard

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 04:01:24 PST

I just did this activity with my second graders. We used black crayons instead
of black paint. Kids need to color hard and then cover over heavily with the
black. Some were not able to get a completely black coat, but their work still
looked nice. (someone recommended using black oil pastel. I think this would
be a bit too messy, but would work) I just used wood skewers as the etching
tools- from the grocery store. The point tends to wear out, but the flat end
is actually better anyway because the broader line it makes shows up well. If
they think they made a mistake in the etching, they can color over with black
again. The subject I used was bugs- insects with intricate detail.

---