scratchboard

---------

From: melinda Mosley-Bullard (mose_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 22:19:38 PST

This is my third year teaching art at the elementary school level. I would like to ask if any of you has any advice about scratchboard. I have done this with second graders the past two years and I have a couple of problems that I need addressing..

this is how we do it--maybe someone can tell me what we are doing wrong..
Day one: (we only have 30 minutes a week per class)
draw an irregular, curved line on a white piece of heavy construction paper--tagboard. Color all the sections created with this line with crayons.

Day two: finish coloring. Paint over color design with black paint (pre-mixed with soap).

Day three: scratch design with paper clips or toothpicks. (no money for actual scratching tools).

Problem: the color does not come through well after scratching.

also, what kind of subject matter lends itself to this activity??? the previous years I have allowed them to choose their own subject matter. many students just end up making a mess...

I am open to any and all suggestions.Thank you!!!
Melinda

---