Re: Ideas

---------

MarshArt_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 14:54:40 PST

In a message dated 10/27/01 8:44:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
felsecker@home.com writes:

> es anyone teach, specifically, Watercolor? I have just begun a class in
> Watercolor with high school students. I think it is necessary to go over
the
> basics with them at first and of course, they are anxious to jump right in
> and begin a painting

Being a watercolor artist myself, I KNOW the kids cannot just jump in and
control the medium. I first give them about 8 techniques to practice on 2
9x12 papers folded into 4 boxes each. Then I have them try different
techniques in each one. Graded wash, wet in wet with charges of other colors
to see how they bleed into each other, saran wrap, salt, resist with a
candle, wet on dry paper, drybrush, etc. For the 2nd assignment, they draw 4
amorphous forms in 4 boxes and learn to mix neutrals from the complements.
The amorphous shape is the pure color they use, and the background is the
neutral mixed from that complement. They leave a tiny white space between the
shape and the backgound. 3rd assignment, they paint a simple still life (vase
and a cup) watercolor in all neutral tones. 4th, I show them how to do a
landscape of hills and trees using overlay of washes. For instance, the hills
start out with an orange wash. Over that (when dry) is the green wash, etc.
They learn to lift clouds with a tissue, etc. Trees are done similarly with
layered washes except they do a yellow wash as a base color. Thus, they have
all the basics. If I do not teach them this way, I find they use watercolors
much like tempera,,,thick and opaque.

Hope this helps.

Marsha

---