RE: Artistic Response / Admin response :-(

---------

From: kimberly herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 09:06:10 PST

We were warned to think about what we said to our kids. To deal with the
emotions, not the politics. I did make sure my kids understood the
difference between a terrorist and the people he/she claims to be
defending. (I'm Irish Catholic am I responsible for the IRA's Actions
for example) Since we had talked about this previously during an ongoing
conversation about hate and its effects, it was an easy point to make.
Any time my kids had a non fact question I tried to present different
sides of the questions (Like what type of action we should take) My kids
are worried about additional attacks especially on the Houston Ship
Channel. We had a freedom Quote activity planned and went ahead with it
(Martin Luther King Jr. was their favorite person to quote). I made sure
that "Those who would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin was included.

Most of the artwork that was produced in response to the attacks had a
patriotic theme and was done by the classroom teacher. Our art teacher
continued with her regular curriculum. Since she teaches skills not
projects, and allows the students to choose the content of the art they
create using their new skills, the students who wanted or need to
express feelings about the attacks could, those who wanted and needed to
focus on something else could do that. She did a great job finding a way
to balance the needs of our kids.

Kimberly Herbert