Re: Ideas

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 07:29:39 PST

In a message dated 10/27/2001 5:44:48 AM Pacific Standard Time,
felsecker@home.com writes:

> Does anyone teach, specifically, Watercolor? I have just begun a class in
> Watercolor with high school students.

I teach a unit where we use watercolor and pen and ink over it like an
illustration. We start with a few contour drawings of related subject
matter, this year its birds, insects, fish amphibians or flowers. I have
them put the largest and most important in a circle with some of it coming
out and then arrange the other picture to have a triangle of movement and
touch the circle.

After the composition I teach them three techniques, lifting (gradation with
a dryer brush), wash and wet on wet. Using many layers of color and varying
the colors they add, they apply this to their subjects. Including the
negative space in the circle. Lastly they use pen and ink to add values form
and texture to the subjects and the two media work together. We are doing
them now so I will put some up on the web in a few weeks.

Ken Schwab

---