Re: Ideas

---------

From: Judie (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 06:04:27 PST

When teaching watercolor I usually illustrate and have students make a
sample of each of the following washes.

Divide a sheet of paper (either in sketchbook or on a separate sheet) into
sections.

Dry Wash--paint pigments on dry sheet of paper
Wet Wash--paint pigments on a wet sheet of paper

Textures acquired by dropping rock salt on wet wash
" " " drops of rubbing alcohol on wet wash
" " " placing crumpled saran wrap on wet wash and leave
to dry
" " " blotting wet wash with paper towel
" " " scratching into wet wash with a sharp pointed tool
Splatter pigments on wet wash or wet sheet of paper
Drawing into wet or dry wash with black india ink

When the painting is dry, students can further push the paper by:

        using pastels
        splattering
        air brush lightly over stencils

I'm sure you'll invent some techniques of your own.

Happy painting.

Judie

>Hi All!
>Does anyone teach, specifically, Watercolor? I have just begun a class in
>Watercolor with high school students. I think it is necessary to go over
>the basics with them at first and of course, they are anxious to jump
>right in and begin a painting (I'm glad they are enthusiastic!). I have
>ideas but would appreciate any other suggestions from you all.
>THanking you in advance....
>BF
>---

---