Re: Ideas

---------

From: John Kupcinski (jckup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 20:25:55 PDT

>In a message dated 10/27/01 8:44:28 AM Central Daylight Time,
>felsecker@home.com writes:

< Does anyone teach, specifically, Watercolor? >

I hesitated answering because I don't teach watercolor exclusively.
However, it's one of the media I have my 9th grade, Art I class use.
Here's (ideas) what we did. The students brought back pencil drawings or
photos from a field trip they had taken to Kaliningrad. First I had them
define the contours of the landscape on a small 5 x 7" piece of watercolor
paper. Then I had them use a flat wash, and monochromatic values to
interpret the scene, with an emphasis on atmospheric perspective. Then the
students were given a larger sheet of watercolor paper and used local color
for their final landscapes. They did a fantastic job, and I think the
first excercise really helped them to 'see' their landscapes.

Oh, prior to all this, I had them do a sample sheet where they explored
various techniques of the medium -- flat wash, lift, gradated, etc. Hope
this helps.
Cheryl

---