A SCHOOL WHERE INCLUSION WORKS

---------

From: Sara Scheid (scheidsa3_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 17:42:15 PDT

From: "Luana Flynn" <lflynn@randolph.k12.il.us>
Subject: Re: From the DiscoverySchool.com Mailbag: Inclusion

I must be very lucky. In our school I feel inclusion is working very
well. The key is to have support of special education staff whether
that be an aide or the special education teacher. Recently I presented
a workshop for our Institute Day with a special education teacher. We
talked about the FACTS about inclusion:
1. Flexibility 2. Accommodations/Acceptance 3. Compassion 4.
Teamwork and 5. Support

It really does take a team effort. The rewards are worth the struggle.
Inclusion is good for the special education child and the rest of your
class. At our session a teacher from another district (vocational
ed.)mentioned that the special education teacher team-teaches with him.
This is great if it can be worked out.
At our session Music and Art teachers were given lots of handouts to
help them plan strategies to help the inclusion students. The resources
are out there to make it work.

---