Re: Artistic Response / Admin response :-(

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 06:43:57 PDT

In a message dated 10/27/2001 1:28:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
whest177@wheatstate.com writes:

> I had a similiar response. We went right ahead with all our activities and
> couldn't be bothered to add in enough time to play the national anthem at
> Friday night's games at our high school. Monday morning at staff meeting we
> were told it was time to "get on with our lives" and not to dwell on it.

I was wondering if other places in the country and around the world are
experiencing what we, those of us in and around NYC, are experiencing. It's
very difficult to "get on with our lives"- at least in the same way that we
have become accustom to living it. My school (and I, too, for that matter )
is only 30 minutes outside of NYC. So many are personnally connected to the
tragedy, and we are still constantly reminded of it. The Long Island
newspaper is still featuring dozens of stories about LIers who lost their
lives on Sept. 11th.

As far as artistic and administrative response: As I previously stated, I
did a very successful lesson with my 4th grade. They created
painting/collages, kind of Johns/Rauschenberg style using magazine and
newspaper images, paint, and the American flag. I titled the exhibit, which
is featured in the main hall of our school, Art:The Universal Language Our
Children Express Themselves Through Art. The goal was for the students to
express an emotion, sentiment, or send a message about the WTC tragedy.
Everyone has really lingered over this powerful exhibit, and my principal
actually called a major newspaper. The reporter came down and photographed
the work for publication, rumored for the middle of November. The computer
teacher has promised to help me set up a website for artwork (when we have
free time to do it -ha), so maybe I will be able to share it with you.

Non-art related: Our 5th grade class trip to Boston, scheduled for the
spring, has been cancelled. We are having crisis committee meetings like
crazy in our school and emergency evacuations. Life is definitely NOT the
same, and although we go on with our daily routines, it seems like life will
never be the same. We are not "dwelling on it" but the awareness and the
anxiety has not lessened. How is it in other places around the U.S. and the
world?

I'm going into NYC today to visit my daughter in her new apartment there.
It's heartbreaking to see the New York skyline as one approaches the city.
There is a hazy, unhealthy fog lingering over the city and an odor still
present from Sept 11th!

Susan on Long Island

---