Artistic Response / Admin response :-(

---------

From: dennycat (dennycat_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 21:58:36 PDT

thank you all for the great ideas on Peace. The week after the attack I
wanted to do something positive with my students and turned to this list
for ideas. ( I was too shocked and sad the first week to keep my
composure about this tragic event ) I put together a package for
teachers on a variety of peace dove lessons from grades 1-12 and
presented the idea to my principal. I only teach grades 6-10 and I wanted
to open this up to the entire school to participate in and have a show
of Peace in our school library. I was surprised that my principal did not
want a display of student art on this theme on display as he felt it
could be viewed as not supportive to Americans. I was shocked. He edited
the package and allowed me to proceed in a low profile way and I went
ahead and did work with my kids - which was some of the best work they
have ever done by the way. Have any of you had a similiar response from
administration? Catharine in Hong Kong

---